Back Conditions in New Jersey
Back conditions are common, and the effects of having back pain are far-reaching. You may avoid day-to-day tasks or compensate in ways that cause strain and injury in other parts of your body. At Performance Rehabilitation, we provide comprehensive treatments for back conditions at our Totowa and Lafayette Township offices for the residents of New Jersey.
Understanding Back Conditions
The muscles, tendons, nerves and vertebrae in your back all work in harmony to support your posture and allow for a variety of movements, such as lifting, walking and sitting. With so many anatomical structures, your back is also susceptible to injury and strains, especially given the nature of 21st-century living. We evolved to be upright against gravity and our lifestyle now is more sedentary, and much of the work we do is at a desk in front of a computer or sitting in a vehicle commuting to our work. This leads to many of the spinal dysfunctions that we treat, especially herniated discs. Treating back conditions requires an extensive knowledge of anatomical structures, biomechanics of the back, and other considerations such as referred pain from more sinister causes such as cancer. Our physical therapists have the in-depth knowledge that is needed to understand your back condition and provide appropriate treatment.
What Causes Back Conditions?
Back conditions can be caused by many factors, such as:
- Degenerative joint disease
- Ligamentous sprains
- Muscle strains
- Bulging and herniated discs
- Postural deformities
- Inflammation that places pressure on the nerves
- Conditions that affect the discs of the spine
- Genetic conditions
- Neuromuscular control problems
What are the Symptoms of a Back Condition?
Back conditions can cause many symptoms, such as:
- Sharp, shooting pains in the back and extremities
- Dull aches
- Discomfort, popping and crackling when moving the head, arms, and legs
- Limited range of motion
- Cramping and spasms
What are the Common Kinds of Back Conditions?
Back pain is unique to each patient, yet there are some common underlying reasons for back pain. Performance Rehabilitation offers physical therapy treatments for:
- Herniated Disc
- Bulging Disc
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Spinal Stenosis
When to See a Doctor About Your Back Condition
In some cases, home care can alleviate the symptoms of your back condition. Often, just resting and allowing your body to heal will alleviate the pain and stiffness followed by a return to activity. You should seek medical treatment for your back condition:
- After an injury or impact to your back
- Whenever you are experiencing chronic back pain
- If acute and sharp back pain is present and unrelenting
- Your pain severely limits your mobility
- You have back pain that occurs in conjunction with other symptoms, such as fever, changes in heart rate, lightheadedness and inability to stand or walk, inability to sleep
Back pain can be a secondary symptom of serious medical conditions, so we recommend that you be evaluated by our qualified physician to determine the underlying cause of your back condition.
Self-Care for Back Conditions
Many men and women develop back conditions due to strain and overuse. You can follow some simple steps to reduce the symptoms, such as:
- Give your body time to heal by resting and avoiding activities that exacerbate the discomfort.
- Apply ice for acute injuries for the first 72 hours. Heat for chronic back pain. Each application should be no longer than 15 minutes every hour.
- Get moving with gentle exercises, stretching, and walking. Prolonged rest is only going to make your back pain worse.
Are you living with the symptoms of a back condition? Contact Performance Rehabilitation, in Totowa or Lafayette Township in New Jersey, to schedule a personal consultation with one of our physical therapists.