Post Operative Rehabilitation in New Jersey
Surgery is intended to restore the function of your body, but after your procedure, you will likely need physical therapy. Performance Rehabilitation in New Jersey has experienced physical therapists who provide the post-operative rehabilitation you need at both our Totowa and Lafayette Township facilities.
Post-operative rehabilitation is designed to enhance recovery following a surgical intervention such as a spinal fusion or knee reconstruction. Our physical therapists work closely with your surgeon and communicate weekly on your progress. This communication allows for rapid intervention when needed. For example, a patient may require a follow-up visit with their doctor for an injection for pain or inflammation to allow for their participation in physical therapy.
Our expert physical therapists will facilitate your recovery and progression from the very acute post-op stage with the use of pain and edema reduction techniques such as massage, joint mobilization, and application of cold and electrical stimulation. You will be taught about positioning to enhance your comfort and minimize stresses to the healing structures. As the inflammatory process subsides, graded stress to the healing tissue with mobilization techniques and PROM/AROM exercise will be implemented with careful consideration to post-op contraindications. You will be provided a home exercise program that is specific to your case and will help to maintain the gains made in your physical therapy sessions. If you require an assistive device like crutches or a cane, we will properly fit those for you and make sure that you are independent in their use. Progression of your program is essential to your full recovery and return to function. Regaining normal timing and neuromuscular control, balance, gait, and coordination will be facilitated through a multitude of training and techniques with our therapists.
Common Surgeries Requiring Postoperative Care
The following is a list of the locations and types of common surgeries that require follow-up care:
- Ankle and foot, such as ankle reconstruction, arthroscopy, bunionectomy, fracture, ligament repair and spur removal
- Calf, such as Achilles tendon repair and fasciotomy
- Elbow, such as fracture repair, golfer’s elbow release and tennis elbow release
- Hip, such as fractures, hip arthroscopy, hip labral repair, and hip replacement or resurfacing
- Knee, such as ACL and ligament reconstruction, arthroscopy, chondroplasty, fracture, knee replacement, lateral release, meniscal repair and patella tendon transfer
- Shoulder, such as acromioplasty, capsulotomy, fracture, manipulation, rotator cuff repair, and shoulder reconstruction or stabilization
- Spine, such as discectomy, laminectomy, microdiscectomy, and spinal fusion or stabilization
- Wrist and hand, such as carpal tunnel release, fracture and tendon repair
We will work with you at Performance Rehabilitation to develop a program that is tailored to your specific needs to ensure that you recover as quickly as possible.
Post-operative rehabilitation at Performance Rehabilitation, located in Totowa and Lafayette Township in New Jersey, gets you on the road to recovery, and ensures that your body is prepared for day-to-day tasks. Contact us to schedule a personal consultation with one of our physicians.